Organic Modeling 2: Midterm Project Textures & Shaders

I'm not finished with this one, but I am getting a lot closer.  I was able to gather a lot of real textures from photos of Mr. Malkovitch himself and use ZBrush's spotlight feature to paint them on.  I was quite pleased with the results.

I tried adding some stubble and hair for the renderings, but it's not quite there yet.  There are a lot of things about Fibermesh that I learned this week from playing around with it and I might have to do another go-around on it to get it working.  I was glad that, even though they are small, I was able to get some eyelashes in there.  A subtle detail like that helps to make it even more real.

Materials and lights in ZBrush are actually more complicated than in Maya, so I felt very confused going into this.  I think I might have messed a few things up with the lighting that is casting that huge shadow on his chest, but I think I know what is wrong.  I am actually guessing at what a lot of the settings in ZBrush do because the documentation is so poorly written.  Either way, though, I am fairly pleased with the results I am getting from this project.  It makes me excited for future prospects.

No comments: