9/17/09

Why I'll never be considered beautiful in Ancient Greece


(Above image from Academy of Art University online course FA600)

Now I've never considered myself a Greek god by any means. I don't even consider myself average. In fact, I've come to grips with the fact that I am incredibly disproportional. In my Renaissance art class we have been talking a lot about the concept of mathematical proportion and how the ancient Greeks made consideration of this in their art and architecture. The above diagram is a fairly good representation of what the Greeks thought the ideal man would look like.

Just out of curiosity I decided to overlay the above proportions over top of myself and this is what I found:

Apparently I have an oversized head and torso in relation to the rest of my body. Who knew? Well, the ancient Greeks did, apparently. But you know what? I'm okay with being kind of squatty. It just makes it easier to put my shoes on in the morning...

Okay, so I did want to know what I would look like with perfect proportions:

Gotta love Photoshop!

2 comments:

Elder Max and Sister Pat said...

I like you as you are.

Adam said...

Me too I'd take non-photoshopped Brad over photoshopped Brad any day!