9/26/09

A Shameless Love Affair

I have an iPod Touch... and I love it.

When I got my new computer for school, Apple was having a promotion that let you buy an iPod Touch at a significant discount from the original price. I already had a 30GB iPod Video. I hadn't planned on getting new one, but decided that an offer like that was too good to pass up. Boy am I glad that I made this impulse buy.

First off, I'm sure you're wondering why 'I love my iPod Touch' and not 'I love my iPhone.' Just go read the previous post about text messaging, and replace all of the terms 'texting' with 'data plan' and you'll basically have my feelings on any smartphone. I've already got a phone and I don't need to pay $30 extra each month to be connected everywhere.

Which brings me to one of my first things I love about this little device: it's got Wi-Fi. I own a very old laptop, which I would occasionally bring on vacation to various places. However, I just found myself using it for email, web browsing, and not much of anything else. This little puppy does pretty much everything I would want out of an iPhone as long as I can find a wireless connection to hook up to. (You'd be amazed how many people out in Pennsylvania had unsecured wireless networks...) Since I am right here next to campus, it is very easy to just take a little walk and hop onto BYU's network. Now, if I ever go on trips, I just take this thing in my pocket and I am good to go.

Another thing I love about it is the applications. I have only paid for about three applications on this thing, the rest I have gotten for free. Apple has created quite a unique ecosystem around the iPhone platform. There are literally thousands of applications for various purposes. I won't get into the politics of getting one of those applications approved in this post, but I have to say that there are a number of cool things out there. Here are the apps I use/like the most:

ShopShop - A shopping list that remembers items you have previously entered.
Google Maps - Basically the same thing as your computer's browser, but you can take it with you. It will even pinpoint your location on the map
Notes - A standard app, but I actually use it a lot for taking down people's information. I also use the calendar a lot.
Flashlight - I have used this one a ton more than I thought I would. Essentially, it just lights up the screen with a certain color, but it puts off enough light to be able to see.
Scriptures - I have actually found myself more adept at studying the scriptures thanks to this handy app. It instantly zips me to the footnotes, which is one of my downfalls with paper scriptures. And it's free!
Facebook - Yeah, I use it. But it's more like a shorter version of email for me. Still, the application is very slick.
Tap Tap Revenge - Like Guitar Hero, except smaller and with a lot of songs you probably haven't heard of before. You can even play with a friend!
Animation Timer - This one was a bit pricey, but I can't imagine myself getting along without it in my class. It is essentially a stopwatch with a hold button, but it will translate into film, NTSC, PAL, and other time formats. Very useful if you're trying to figure out how many frames a certain animation will take.

I've also watched a movie or two on it, but I don't do it very often. I just have too many things to do. If I'm on an airplane or in a car, I might watch, but it drains the battery pretty quickly. It is a heck of a lot better to watch it on that than on an iPod video, I must say.

One thing that I actually don't use my iPod Touch for is music. As odd as it sounds, I just don't use it for that. Maybe it's because I like to keep it charged up in case I want to get on the internet or maybe I just don't listen to that much music on the go, but I haven't really used it for what the iPod was originally developed for.

In summary, in regards to being an iPod Touch user, I'll quote "Ferris Bueller's Day Off:" 'It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.'

No comments: