9/11/11

Professional Practices: Artist's Statement

Another class I am taking this semester is a professional practices class.  This is very similar to classes I have taken in the past where you prepare yourself for the real where where they expect results.  One of the first assignments was to write an "Artist's Statement," which basically amounts to telling people why you do what you do as an artist.  Here's what I came up with:


Ayn Rand once stated, “To achieve, you need thought.  You have to know what you are doing, and that’s real power.”  The gift of man’s intellect has given him the ability to collect, organize, interpret, and transform the materials of his world into something that previously only existed in the ethereal realm of the mind.  Man has the power to create.

Creation is the business I am employed in.  Although I run the gamut of tools to turn imagination into reality, the creative power of my mind is the driving force behind my work.  Whether it be my own ideas, creations inspired by others, designs of my peers, or a collaborative production, my love of the creative process is what fuels my passion for imaginative work.  As I began my career path, I tried to conceive my work through a three word mantra: Design, Energy, Motion.

Design: The structuring of elements into a cohesive design is a crucial part of our existence.  Design brings order from chaos, definition from ambiguity, peace from turmoil.

Energy: Every sensory experience that we are exposed to evokes an emotional impact within the beholder.  It is essential that the underlying elements be imbued with the correct proportions, materials, and hues, so that it successfully and responsibly fulfills its purpose.

Motion: Time is always in motion.  Solutions that are reached during the present will not always stand the test of time.  There is always a better way to accomplish something, even if the necessary means to do so are not yet within our reach.  Adaptation and a course of continuing education are essential for success in our rapidly advancing world.

I seek after the best possible iteration of an imaginative idea, whether from myself, my clients, or my peers.  By witnessing the best of both individual and collaborative creations, I am constantly inspired to continue to seek after that which is just beyond the horizon.

No comments: