2/4/10

Back in the Saddle Again

I've been humming that Johnny Cash song to myself all week because I am finally back in school after a six week break. Who knew that the world wanted so much time off? I also get a spring break this year! I never knew how time intensive my studies at BYU were until now.

Anyway, I am actually looking forward to working in all of these classes that I am taking. So far I have three: Introduction to Maya (3D Computer Program), Anatomy for Artists, and Figure Modeling. The following images are from the latter.

In this class we are going to be working a lot in clay, so for an initial assignment to get us introduced to the medium, we were instructed to copy a coffee mug using some interesting methods of construction. I have to admit that I am not experienced with clay at all, really. However, I feel much more at home with it, oddly enough, than with a pencil in my hand.




After we copied one coffee mug, we were to create another using a different method of construction and doing whatever we wanted with the design (with the fact that it still needed to be able to hold a drink. I decided, since I am not a coffee drinker, to create something I call the Quitter's Mug:


It can only hold about half as much as a regular coffee mug, thus helping you cut back. Also, the grip is oversized, allowing you to (pardon the pun) get a handle on things.




I guess I could take these to a ceramics store and try to get them fired if I wanted to. We'll see. At this point, I'm not getting my hopes too high.

No comments: